Английский язык. 11 класс
Урок 53. Green Places
Английский язык, 11 класс
Урок № 53. Green Places
Theme – Green Places
Lesson aim – give the students information about eco-tourism.
Lesson goal – teach the students some basic features of eco-tourism, discuss the ways to protect environment during our holidays and preserve places of natural beauty
You will listen, read, and talk about eco-tourism.
- You will learn how to preserve places of natural beauty.
- You will learn about some places of the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Task 1 – Unscramble the words
ctroenanction - ____________________
ecatavixon - ______________________
hraitgee - ________________________
stnlghrood - ______________________
fissol - __________________________
loinotg - _________________________
Task 2 - Read the words. Highlight in red the words, which have a spelling mistake
Task 3 – Read the sentences. Fill in the missing words
exhibitions, gallery, Gothic, Renaissance, species
- Notre-Dame de Paris is a wonderful example of French _________architecture.
- The __________is the period of time in Europe between 14th and 17th c.
- This is my favourite Art ______in Moscow. I try to visit its _________every year.
- Lots of animal and plant ________are in danger today.
Task 4 - Read the sentences and fill in the gaps transforming the capitalized words
Example – This place is very ___________. – BEAUTY
This place is very beautiful.
The archeologists found a very _________ fossil.
Task 5 - Choose the right form
- They go travelling / to travel every summer.
- He dreams of find / finding a valuable fossil.
- It is not easy for him to concentrate / concentrate on his work.
- You should visit / to visit art galleries more often.
- He is interested in study / studying Gothic architecture.
Task 6 - Read the text. Fill in the gaps
abbreviation, complex, devoted, excavations, expand, heritage, humanity,
imperial, official, restoration, treaties, unique
The _________“UNESCO” is familiar to everybody. But what is it? If we _______this abbreviation we can fully understand its meaning. So, it is United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. This organization is legally protected by International_______. Their main goal is to “build peace through international cooperation in Education, the Sciences and Culture”, as the _________website says.
One of UNESCO programs is _______to the conservation and ________of unique places, which are important to the collective interests of_______. There is a list of such __________sites.
The first place is occupied by Italy. There are 51 heritage sites there. Take for example the archeological ________of Pompeii or Venice with its _________ architecture.
Then there are 48 heritage sites of China. Among them it is essential to name the Great Wall of China and the Forbidden City, a palace ________in central Beijing, where you can admire the former Chinese ________palace from the Ming and Qing dynasties.
Task 7 – Read the text. Underline - True / False / Not stated
Spain is also one of the leading countries in the list of World Heritage sites. UNESCO protects 44 sites there. Among the most famous ones we should note the coast of Ibiza. It is home to posidonia oceanica, a seagrass only found in the Mediterranean. The seagrass supports a diverse coastal and marine ecosystem.
One more Spanish protected site is Teide National Park, famous for Mount Teide. It is a volcano and the highest elevation in Spain.
In this UNESCO List there are 26 Russian places. One of them is Lake Baikal, the oldest and the deepest lake in the world. Situated in Irkutsk Oblast’, the lake contains 20% of the world's total unfrozen freshwater reserve.
In this list we can also see one of the most outstanding volcanic regions in the world – the Volcanoes of Kamchatka. This region is so unique, because of a high density of active volcanoes.
One more heritage site is Lena Pillars Nature Park. It is marked by magnificent (100 m in height) rock pillars. They stand along the banks of the Lena River in the central part of the Sakha Republic.
This list is really long; all the heritage sites are worth mentioning. A little bit later we will talk about the Russian sites in detail.
- Spain is the forth country in the UNESCO list. - True / False / Not stated
- The highest elevation in Spain is Mount Teide. - True / False / Not stated
- Posidonia oceanica can found not only in the Mediterranean. - True / False / Not stated
- Lake Baikal is not the deepest lake in the world. True / False / Not stated
- There are 15 active volcanoes in Russia. - True / False / Not stated
- Lena Pillars Nature Park in situated in the Sakha Republic. - True / False / Not stated
Task 8 - Read the text. Put the paragraphs in the right order.
- Coming to the conclusion, it is important to say, that Baikal is of vital importance not only for Russia, but for the whole world. Indeed, we must not turn a blind eye to this problem; everyone can contribute greatly to the preservation of the national heritage for the future generations. So, let’s get started?
- First of all, we should clean our own garbage. Besides, sometimes it is necessary to urge others to do the same. For some of you this may seem a simple requirement, but the lake really has problems because of the neglect of such a simple rule.
- If there is a problem, there should be a solution. How can we – potential tourists – help the sacred lake?
- Let’s talk about the largest freshwater reservoir on Earth. So, well, we are going to speak about ancient Lake Baikal, the Pearl of Siberia.
- The ecology of the lake is under threat nowadays due to the growing flow of tourism. This flow is rarely controlled or planned. As a result, the coast of the lake and the water itself are polluted, the forests are damaged, too.
- You can also participate in volunteer programs. Participants of such programs clear the territory, restore and construct ecological trails, equip recreation areas for tourists, install information boards. Doing all these things volunteers visit picturesque places of the Pearl of Siberia, so, such a work is really worth trying!
- You have already learnt about the UNESCO World Heritage List. You know, how beautiful and valuable these places are for the whole world, for the humanity. However, there is the worry that tourism is damaging them.
Task 9 – Read the text (exercise 8) again. Find the English equivalents for these words / phrases in the text.
- Ценный – _______________________
- Для человечества – _______________
- Самый большой запас питьевой воды – _______________________________
- Находиться под угрозой – _________
- Священное озеро – _______________
- Побуждать кого-то сделать что-то – ________________________________
- Простое требование – _____________
- Волонтерская программа – _________
- Обустроить зону отдыха – _________
- Смотреть сквозь пальцы на что-то -
Task 10 – Do you remember the information from the previous texts? Let’s check. Give a short answer
- What word is missing? United Nations Educational, Scientific and ________ Organization. – _____________________
- What country has 48 heritage sites? – _____________________
- How many sites does UNESCO protect in Spain? – _____________________
- What is the highest elevation in Spain? - _____________________
- How many Russian heritage sites does UNESCO protect? – _____________________
- Where is Lena Pillars Nature Park located? – _____________________
- Do participants of volunteer programs construct ecological trails? - ____________________
Task 11 – Read 5 texts. Mark the sentences True / False
- Mont-Saint-Michel is an island commune in France. - True / False
- The houses for fishermen are situated at the top of the island. - True / False
- Curonian Spit is one the Russian heritage sites. - True / False
- Speicherstadt was awarded the status of UNESCO world heritage site in 2014. - True / False
- UNESCO has lots of offices around the world. - True / False
- The Rainforests of the Atsinanana, situated in the western part of Madagascar. - True / False
- The unique biodiversity of these Rainforests evolved in isolation for nearly 60 years. - True / False
- 2 years ago I visited an amazing place. Mont-Saint-Michel is one of the World Heritage sites. It is an island commune in Normandy. Since the 8th century AD it has been the seat of the monastery – Saint Michel, which stands on the top of the mountain. The structure of this place exemplifies the structure of our society: God, the abbey and the monastery are at the top, stores and housing are below and houses for fishermen are at the bottom, outside the walls.
- I’m so excited! You will not believe it! This year I made one more dream of mine come true! I’ve visited the famous Curonian Spit in Kaliningrad. This 98 km long, thin sand-dune spit separates the Curonian Lagoon from the Baltic Sea coast. It’s really a picturesque place! I want to come back there one day!
- The Speicherstadt literally means “warehouse district”. Situated in Hamburg, it is the largest warehouse district in the world. It was built from 1883 to 1927. The district was awarded the status of UNESCO world heritage site in 2015.
- This is a specialized agency, situated in Paris. The official website of the organization states, that its purpose is “to contribute to peace and security by promoting international collaboration through educational, scientific, and cultural reforms in order to increase universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedom proclaimed in the United Nations Charter”. In order to achieve such a global goal the organization has several offices around the world. The headquarters are in Paris, and lots of field offices can be found across the globe.
- Nowadays the Rainforests of the Atsinanana, situated in the eastern part of Madagascar, are under threat. We should bear in mind that these relict forests and their unique biodiversity evolved in isolation for nearly 60 million years! That’s why it is vitally important to do our best and save the rare and threatened species, especially lemurs!
Task 12 – Do the crossword puzzle
4. соглашение, договор
Task 13 - Fill in the correct preposition.
- The abbreviation “UNESCO” is familiar ____ everybody.
- This organization is legally protected ____ International treaties.
- One of UNESCO programs is devoted ____ the conservation and restoration ____ unique places.
- They are important ____ the collective interests ____ humanity.
- Lake Baikal is the oldest lake ____ the world.
- The lake contains 20% ____ the world's total unfrozen freshwater reserve.
- This region is so unique, because ____ a high density ____ active volcanoes.
- It is marked ____ magnificent rock pillars.
Task 14 - Translate into English
- Участники волонтерских программ оборудуют зоны отдыха для туристов, устанавливают информационные стенды.
- Люди называют Байкал «Жемчужиной Сибири».
- Эти программы посвящены сохранению уникальных мест по всему миру.
- Структура этого места служит примером строения нашего общества.
- Несколько ценных окаменелых останков были найдены во время археологических раскопок в этом регионе.
РАЗБОР РЕШЕНИЯ ТРЕНИРОВОЧНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ 3
Read the sentences. Fill in the missing words
- Notre-Dame de Paris is a wonderful example of French Gothic architecture.
- The Renaissance is the period of time in Europe between 14th and 17th c.
- This is my favourite Art gallery in Moscow. I try to visit its exhibitions every year.
- Lots of animal and plant species are in danger today.
РАЗБОР РЕШЕНИЯ ТРЕНИРОВОЧНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ 4
Read the sentences and fill in the gaps transforming the capitalized words
1 – CONCENTRATE
2 – EXCAVATION
3 – OFFICIAL
4 – VALUABLE
РАЗБОР РЕШЕНИЯ ТРЕНИРОВОЧНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ 5
Choose the right form
- They go travelling / to travel every summer. (go + Gerund)
- He dreams of find / finding a valuable fossil. (preposition OF + Gerund)
- It is not easy for him to concentrate / concentrate on his work. (easy + TO + Verb)
- You should visit / to visit art galleries more often. (modal verb “should” + Verb)
- He is interested in study / studying Gothic architecture. (preposition IN + Gerund)
РАЗБОР РЕШЕНИЯ ТРЕНИРОВОЧНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ 6
Read the text. Fill in the gaps
The abbreviation “UNESCO” is familiar to everybody. But what is it? If we expand this abbreviation we can fully understand its meaning. So, it is United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. This organization is legally protected by International treaties. Their main goal is to “build peace through international cooperation in Education, the Sciences and Culture”, as the official website says.
One of UNESCO programs is devoted to the conservation and restoration of unique places, which are important to the collective interests of humanity. There is a list of such heritage sites.
The first place is occupied by Italy. There are 51 heritage sites there. Take for example the archeological excavations of Pompeii or Venice with its unique architecture.
Then there are 48 heritage sites of China. Among them it is essential to name the Great Wall of China and the Forbidden City, a palace complex in central Beijing, where you can admire the former Chinese imperial palace from the Ming and Qing dynasties.
РАЗБОР РЕШЕНИЯ ТРЕНИРОВОЧНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ 8
Read the text. Put the paragraphs in the right order.
РАЗБОР РЕШЕНИЯ ТРЕНИРОВОЧНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ 13
Fill in the correct preposition.
- The abbreviation “UNESCO” is familiar to everybody.
- This organization is legally protected by International treaties.
- One of UNESCO programs is devoted to the conservation and restoration of unique places.
- They are important to the collective interests of humanity.
- Lake Baikal is the oldest lake in the world.
- The lake contains 20% of the world's total unfrozen freshwater reserve.
- This region is so unique, because of a high density of active volcanoes.
- It is marked by magnificent rock pillars.
РАЗБОР РЕШЕНИЯ ТРЕНИРОВОЧНОГО ЗАДАНИЯ 14
Translate into English
- Participants of volunteer programs equip recreation areas for tourists, install information boards.
- People call Baikal the “Pearl of Siberia”.
- These programs are devoted to the conservation of unique places around the world.
- The structure of this place exemplifies the structure of our society.
- Some (several) valuable fossils were found during the archeological excavations in this region.
Лексический материал урока
Concentration – концентрация, скопление
Density - плотность
Ecological trails – экологическая тропа
Excavation – раскопки
Expand this abbreviation – расшифровать аббревиатуру
Fossil – ископаемое, окаменелые останки
Gallery – галерея
Gothic – готический (относящийся к стилю в европейском искусстве XII – XVII вв.)
Heritage - наследие
Heritage site – место, представляющее большую ценность
Legitimately – законно
Monastery – монастырь
Officially – официально
Outstanding – выдающийся, знаменитый
Renaissance – ренессанс (период в европейском искусстве, относящийся особенно к Италии в XIV – XVI вв, когда у людей возрос интерес к искусству)
Restore - восстановить
Species – вид (животных, растений)
Treaty – соглашение, договор
Value – ценность
- Афанасьева О.В., Дули Дж., Михеева И.В. Английский в фокусе. 11 класс. Учебник для общеобразовательных организаций. – М.: Просвещение, 2017.стр 151