Английский язык. 10 класс
Урок 3. Grammar in Use
Grammar in Use
As you know there are 12 tenses in the Active Voice in the English language. Four of these tenses are present. They are: Present Simple, Present Continuous, Present Perfect, Present Perfect Continuous.
We use Present Simple in different cases, such as:
- when we want to tell about something that happens regularly or every day;
- when we want to tell about the law, connected with the nature;
- when we want to talk about timetables or schedules. We use Present Continuous in different cases, such as:
- when we want to say about an action which is
happening right now, at this moment;
- when we talk about the future plans or the future
We use Present Perfect in different cases, such as:
- when we want to tell about the action which started in the past and has already finished. The result of this action can be seen in the present;
- when we want to tell about the action which happened in the past, but we don’t know the exact time when the action happened.
We use Present Perfect Continuous in different cases, such as:
- when we want to emphasize that the action which started in the past is still in progress.
- we usually use since and for with this tense.
We can form adjectives from nouns and from verbs. To form them from nouns we should use suffixes; -able (value – valuable), -ese (Japan – Japanese), -ful (help – helpful), -ical (history – historical), -al (magic – magical), -ish (child – childish), -ous ( danger – dangerous), -y (rain – rainy), -ed (shock – shocked).
To form adjectives from verbs we should use suffixes: -ive (restrict restrictive), -ing (amaze amazing ), -ed (confuse confused), -less (harm harmless).
Let’s remember some words:
look after – заботиться;
look out for – быть осторожным;
look down on – считать что-то недостаточно хорошим; смотреть на кого-то свысока;
look up – искать что-то в списке;
look forward to – с нетерпением ждать.
Give the definitions to the phrases.